Installing Windows 2019 server on HPE Proliant server using Intelligent Provisioning.
Fill in the fields
- user / owner
- password. This will be the Administrator’s password
Check Windows firewall option
Don’check Hyper-V option
You have downloaded the Service Pack for ProLiant (spp) in iso format and want to install it using ILO.
In ILO open “Remote Console & Media” and load the iso. Restart the server and start installing the service pack. At some point the installation crashes (at a certain percentage of completion).
The problem is that you used ILO’s HTML5 client to load the ISO; you have to use the Java client.
Hmtl5 remote console unmaps the image after a while
Entering Intelligent Provisioning on the HPE server you realize that you can only install from CD ROM. But you haven’t mounted the CD player on your server.
With your iso create a bootable usb using for example Rufus. Does not work!
Download the “USB Key Utility” from the HP site to create a bootable USB with HPE specifications. Does not work!
What to do ?
The solution is very simple but poorly documented.
From your computer, go to the ILO page of the HP server. To do this you need to connect the server’s ILO port (it is a particular ethernet port) to the network. Turning on the server, if a DHCP server is active in your network, when you turn on the machine you will see, at the bottom, the ip address assigned to ILO. If a DCHP server is not active you will have to put a static ip by going to the utilities (button F9).
On the case of your HPE server there is a sticker with the password to access the ILO. Connect from your computer with a web browser to the ILO IP. The user is “Administrator”. Log in.
In this example I am using ILO 5.
On the left click on “Remote Console”.
A page appears from which you can open server management consoles, using different technologies. I’m using HTML 5. After the console opens, you have a button with a circle at the top. You can select your iso file which will be mounted on the server CD / DVD.
At this point you can restart the machine. To do this, you can send the ALT + CTRL + DEL command via the Remote Console keyboard.
When you reboot the server your iso will be mounted on CD / DVD and you can start the installation via Intelligent Provisioning.
When you power up your new HPE Proliant server you may see this message in yellow.
Important information available or errors detected. Press F1 to continue. F2 for more information.
Push F2 and understand that the system is all healthy.
Why does the server give you this alert message?
Perhaps you have simply installed an additional power supply but have not plugged the cord into the mains.
Come connettersi a ILO in un server Proliant
If you need to upgrade a hp server with an iso file, such as Service Pack for Proliant or Intelligent Provisioning Recovery Media, you can not use generic software to create the usb key with the iso. You must use the HPE USB Key Utility for Windows / Linux.
Instructions for Windows
Download the file (link above) and run the installation.
In the c:\Program Files\usbkey folder, run the usbkey.exe file to create your iso on usb stick.
If the startup of your hp server crashes with this message
Power and Thermal Calibration in Progress…
Disconnect all USB cables (no keyboard and mouse) and turn on the server again.
- Select Manage > Utilities > Disk Drive Utilities > Clear Metadata. An enclosure view is displayed in which only Leftover and Available drives are selectable. Available drives are considered to have had their metadata cleared, but are selectable in case a drive with partial metadata has been inserted into the system.
- Select the drives whose metadata you want to clear.
- Click Clear Metadata For Selected Disk Drives
Re-Join Physical Disk to VDisk RAID
- In the HP MSA Storage Management Utility, Right click on the affected vdisk and select Configuration > Manage Dedicated Spares
- Your disk should appear in the list of available drives with a state of AVAIL. Tick the drive, then click the Modify Spares button.
- The disk will be re-joined to the array. Initially it may be listed as a spare, but the MSA will automatically re-join the disk as an active member of the RAID if this is how it was originally configured.
- The array will begin the Reconstruction process automatically. This can take a very long time depending on the size of your drives.
- In this situation, original SPARE has now become AVAIL. So, re-add this AVAIL disk as SPARE using above steps. After setting this as spare – this disk will now show a status of: VDISKSP or SPARE